If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right.
Switch to Accessible Site
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Health Tips to Protect you and your Family.General Tips
Pregnancy and Immune-Deficiency Precautions
- Wash your hands well after contact with an animal.
- Do not allow children to put dirt in their mouths.
- Pick up dog and cat waste from your yard daily, especially in areas where both children and animals play.
- Cover home sandboxes to protect them from fecal contamination.
- Have your pet tested regularly (at least once a year) for parasites by a veterinarian and administer year-round preventive medications to control zoonotic parasites.
See or print our color flyers:
- Wash your hands well after any exposure to soil (gardening), sandboxes and raw meat.
- Eat only well-cooked meat.
- Wash fresh fruits and vegetables to eliminate contamination.
- Have a spouse, partner or friend change the litter box. If changing the litter is unavoidable, change it daily. Be certain to wash hands well after changing the litter.
- Supervise infants sitting on the ground or on the floor. Do not allow them to eat dirt or food that has fallen.
- Pick up dog and cat feces from the yard daily.
- Cover sandboxes and play areas to prevent wildlife and strays from contaminating these areas.
- Take your pet to the veterinarian regularly and have your pet tested for parasites at least yearly.
- Deworm your cat or dog per your veterinarian’s recommendations.
- Administer year-round products to help control Toxocara infections and other products as directed by your veterinarian to control other parasites.
Your Pets, Your Children, Your Future (263 KB)
Reducing the Risks (103 KB)
Reducing the Risks (same text, different image: 536KB)
Your New Baby (605 KB)